This year the 4th Slemani International Film Festival which will be held on October the 1st- 7th, 2019, in Slemani City, Kurdistan, Iraq. Located in Talary Hunar and City Cinema Halls. In This edition 120 films from 57 countries will be screened.
This year, the film (Sisters in Arms) directed by Caroline Fourest will be the opening film of the 4th Slemani IFF.
For the past 3 years ‘SlemaniFest’ has attracted filmmakers, actors, cinema journalists and programmers from other international film festivals including Oscar qualifying festivals such as Nashville, Atlanta, Rio De Janeiro, Tampere, Docville, Krakow and Animafest Zagreb.
Some of our previous attendees include Maori New Zealand actress Rachel House from the animated feature MOANA, Australian filmmaker Rhys Graham, currently directing a series for Netflix, award-winning Kurdish Iranian actor, Navid Mohammadzadeh, who won Best Actor 2017 in the Venice Film Festival, Multi Award-winning Iranian director Majid Majidi, Academy member & short film programmer, Linda Olszewski, award-winning producer/director partner Carolyn McDonald and Kimberly Klabel, Operations Director of Atlanta Film Society.
Also last year, SlemaniFest featured acclaimed films such as Jafar Panahi’s THREE FACES, winner of Best Screenplay at Cannes, 2018, Hirokazu Kore-eda’s SHOPLIFTERS, 2019 Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Language Film, Malgorzata Szumowska’s MUG, winner of the Jury Grand Prix, at Berlinale 2018, and Majid Majidi’s BEYOND THE CLOUDS, Best Film Nominee at the 2017 London Film Festival, in its International Features Competition.
* In this edition, 3 feature films will compete for the Golden Pine award. This award has been added to the festival program this year and the price is 25,000 US $. As well as 10 more feature films in the same section will be competing for 6 more awards. These films are in the official competition for the Silver Pine award.
* Another section of the festival is the Kurdish documentary competition which has only one award for (3000 USD) price.
* Another section is the International documentary film competition which has only one award of 2,500 USD.
* Another section is the Kurdish Short Film competition, which has the Golden pine award. And only a Kurdish short film has a chance to win that award. In the same section there are 2 more awards titled as Jury Award and Silver award.
* Another section of the festival is International short film competition which has 2 awards: 1- Best International short film (Silver)
2- Jury award (Silver)
* Another section is the National and International animation film competition which has only one award for best film (Silver)
*Another section is titled NEW TALENT, which is dedicated to those films which do not have a chance in the official for competition.
* This year’s Slemani International film festival main theme is “Let is all protect the environment. (Earth Cancer)”
This section will present 2 days- international panel with participation of experts in the area of the issue. They will be invited to Slemani city to attend the debate on what should be done in regard of this important cause. As well as influencing the Kurdish public on how to protect the environment and nature of Earth.
* Another section of the festival presenting a debate on International Film Foundations & commissions around the globe. Which We are planning to attract their attention to the Kurdistan region. Then they will be presenting seminars and debates on the creation of the first Kurdish film foundation in the region, which will lead to organize the Kurdish film industry once more. In order to attract the great film production companies all over the globe to invest in the Kurdistan region.